POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurred reflections : Re: Blurred reflections Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflections
From: Hugo
Date: 8 Jul 2002 12:25:24
Message: <3d29bcf4$1@news.povray.org>
> > The best results are when the averaged normals are scaled very big, but
then
> > the layers have a random value .. if you understand what I mean ... with
> > only a few layers, this does not always look good..
>
> I don't understand. The part about using large scale normals is what
> makes the technique better than what the patch does, I don't know what
> you mean by "the layers have a random value".
> With only a few layers, it doesn't look good...and the blur patch
> doesn't look good with only a few samples. Your point?

I'll try again then. I was only talking about the reflection tricks without
Megapov. Lets say you average 5 normals, using the bump pattern scaled very
big. Then you have 5 normals, but their directions are random..

Example: You apply the blur texture on a plane and put a white sphere above
it, that is supposed to be reflected on the plane, and use a black
background.. The result with 5 averaged normals is not 5 eqaul steps between
black/white. Because the bump patterns have random values (psudo-random, to
be precise).

Regards,
Hugo